- Head of the Department of Anesthesia and Critical Care Medicine and Director of Cardiothoracic Anesthesia and Intensive Care at Azienda Ospedaliero Universitaria in Pisa, Italy.
- Active member of ESICM, ESA, EACTA, EACVI, SCA, SIAARTI.
- Board member of the Journal of Cardiothoracic and Vascular Anesthesia, of Seminars of Cardiothoracic and Vascular Anesthesia and of Current Anesthesiology Reports.
- Associate Editor of Minerva Anestesiologica.
- Section Editor of Journal of Cardiothoracic and Vascular Anesthesia
- Reviewer for several international peer-review journals in the field of intensive care, cardiothoracic anaesthesia, heart failure, echocardiography.
- Undergraduate training at Padua Medical School, Italy.
- Postgraduate training in Anaesthesia, Intensive Care and Cardiology was at Padua Medical School.
- Main research interests are in echocardiography, acute heart failure and the design of intensive care pathways to improve the effectiveness of the patient journey.
- Invited speaker at international meetings, congresses and echocardiography courses.
- Author of manuscripts published in peer-review journals in the field of cardiothoracic anaesthesia, echocardiography, intensive care medicine.
- 1971-1977 Medical school at the Christian-Albrechts-University of Kiel (CAU)
- 1977 State approval as Medical Doctor
- 1979-1999 Assistant and Consultant at the Department of Anesthesiology and Surgical Intensive Care Medicine, Christian-Albrechts-University Kiel
- 1983 Consulting physician (Anaesthesiologist)
- 1984 Doctoral dissertation (Magna Cum Laude), Christian-Albrechts-University Kiel
- 1984-1999 Establishing the first postoperative Acute Pain Service at a European University Hospital
- 1985-1999 Establishing an Interdisciplinary Pain Management Center
- 1995 Habilitation in Anesthesiology, Christian-Albrechts-University Kiel
- 1997 Special qualification in pain management “Spezielle Schmerztherapie”
- 1999 Full Professor and Head of the Department of Pain Management, BG-University Hospital Bergmannsheil Bochum
- 2005 Establishment of a laboratory for Quantitative Sensory Testing
- 2010 Head of the Interdisciplinary Center for Pain Medicine, Berufsgenossenschaftliche Unfallklinik Duisburg
- 1990 Hans-Kilian-Award of the European Society of Regional Anaesthesia
- 1992 Carl-Ludwig-Schleich-Award of the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Anästhesiologie und Intensivmedizin (DGAI)
- 1993 Förderpreis of the Deutsche Gesellschaft zum Studium des Schmerzes
- 1994 Carl-Ludwig-Schleich-Award of the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Anästhesiologie und Intensivmedizin (DGAI)
- 2000 Richard-Merten-Award for the Advancement of the Quality Management in Medicine
- Since 2003 Member of the Steering Committee of the „Deutscher Forschungsverbund Neuropathischer Schmerz – DFNS“, granted by the German Ministry of Education and Science (BMBF); since 2012 Board-secretary of the DFNS e.V.
- Since 2004 Leadership of the project “Schmerzfreies Krankenhaus”, since 2011 Chairman of the Society for Qualified Pain Management Certkom e.V., responsible for the certification of hospitals regarding pain management “Qualifizierte Schmerztherapie”
- Since 2009 Steering Commitee Member of the Innovative Medicines Initiative: Europain Leader in workpackage 6 and 7 (data management/quality assurance) and Leader of the workpackage ENSO (corneal confocal microscopy)
- MB BS (June 1984)
- Fellow of the Royal College of Anaesthetists [FRCA], (February 1990)
- Higher Degree (MD) by Thesis (June 1995) “The role of gastrointestinal hypoperfusion in the pathogenesis of postoperative organ dysfunction”.
- Fellow of the Faculty of Intensive Care Medicine [FFICM], (March 2011)
- Honorary Fellow of the College of Anaesthetists of Ireland [FCAI (Hon)] (May 2012)
- Smiths Medical Professor of Anaesthesia and Critical Care, UCL
- Consultant Anaesthesia and Critical Care UCL Hospitals NHS Trust.
- Director Centre for Anaesthesia, UCL.
- Clinical Director UCL School of Life and Medical Sciences Research Support Centre
- Director of the Discovery Lab and Chair of the Scientific Advisory Board, at The London 2012 Olympic legacy Institute of Sport Exercise and Health
Additional current appointments:
- Chair of the National Institute of Academic Anaesthesia Board (NIAA)
- Resident NIHR funded Principal Investigator for the Institute of Sports Exercise and Health
- Council member of the Royal College of Anaesthetists of Great Britain and Ireland
- Editor-in-Chief Perioperative Medicine
- Editorial board member: British Journal of Anaesthesia; Critical Care
- Co-Chairman Evidence Based Peri-operative Medicine annual meeting and website.
- Member of the Joint RCoA, FPM and FICM Revalidation Speciality Advisory Team
- RCoA Revalidation Speciality Advisor
- Head of Section for Anesthesiology & Pain Management F1000Prime
- CHAIR OF THE ANAESTHESIA, REANIMATION AND INTENSIVE CARE UNIT, SS.MA ANNUNZIATA
- S.Orsola Hospital, Bologna University 1980 - 2001
- SS.ma Annunziata Hospital, Chieti-Pescara University 2002 up today
- August 2012 up today: Chair of the Perioperative Medicine, Pain Therapy, In-Hospital Emergency and Intensive Care System (Emergency Dept) for the 5 Hospitals of the ASL2 Abruzzo
- Nov 2010: Chair of the School in Anaesthesia, Reanimation and Intensive Care, Chieti-Pescara University and L’Aquila University (since AA 2011-2012 up today)
- August 2010: Chair of the of Anaesthesia, Reanimation and Intensive Care Unit SS.ma Annunziata Hospital, Chieti
- June 2010: Medical Director of the Surgery Theatres ASL 2 Lanciano, Vasto Chieti
- March 2007: Full Professor of Anaesthesia and Intensive Care, Chieti-Pescara University
- Sept 2006: winner in a national Full Professor examination (GU n.37,10/05/2005–DR 922,13.09.2006)
- Febbr 2002: moving from Bologna to Chieti-Pescara University as Associate Professor of Anaesthesia and Intensive Care (confirmed in 2005, DR n.682 23/11/2005)
- Nov 2001: recognized Associate Professor (national examination) GUn.4,12/01/2001-DR 24.11.2001
- March 1983 Nov 2001: Medical Researcher of Anaesthesia and Intensive Care - Transplant Department S.Orsola Hospital Bologna University
- Since 1993: Full time Medical Doctor, recognized for difficult airway management and shadowing first on call for theatres and ICU
- 1985 – 1993: Anaestesiology Consultant for the Surgical Dept (I Livello Diri. - fascia B,D.L.vo 517/93)
- March 1983: recognized as winner in a national Researcher examination (D.R. n.778 23/4/1982;confermed in 1985)
- 1980 - 1983: Teaching Lecturer for Anaesthesia and Intensive Care School, Bologna University
Occupation or position held:
- Full Professor of Anaesthesia and Intensive Care, Medicine and Surgery Faculty, University Hospital SS.ma Annunziata - Abruzzo (ITALY)
- Chair of the Anaesthesia, Pain Medicine, In-Hospital Emergency and Intensive Care System ASL 2 (Lanciano, Vasto, Chieti), Abruzzo - ITALY
- MRCS LRCP (Conjoint Board)
- MB BS (University of London)
- FRCA (Fellow of the Royal College of Anaesthetists, previously FFARCS, Fellow of the Faculty of Anaesthetists of the Royal College of Surgeons)
- Clinical Quality Adviser, Royal College of Anaesthetists
- Honorary Consultant Anaesthetist, Epsom and St Helier University Hospitals NHS Trust
- GMC (General Medical Council) Associate
- GMC PLAB examiner
- GMC Lead Performance Assessor
- Royal College of Anaesthetists representative on various government and academic committees concerning safe standards of practice, paediatrics, sedation, dental surgery, ethics and law.
- Senior Vice-President and Member of Council, Royal College of Anaesthetists
- Vice-President and Member of Council, Association of Anaesthetists of Great Britain and Ireland
- President and Council Member, Section of Anaesthesia, Royal Society of Medicine.
- Editor, Royal College of Anaesthetists Bulletin
- Member Editorial Board, Anaesthesia
- Member Quality Assurance Committee, Bar Standards Board
- Royal College of Anaesthetists Adviser to the College of Medicine, Malawi
- Royal College of Anaesthetists Advisor to the Gibraltar Health Authority.
- Member of the Order of the British Empire (MBE)
- Gold Medal, Royal College of Anaesthetists
- Association of Anaesthesiologists of Mauritius Honorary Member.
- Association of Paediatric Anaesthetists of Great Britain and Ireland Honorary Member
- Association of Anaesthetists of Great Britain and Ireland Honorary Member
- British Anaesthetic and Recovery Nurses Association Life Member
- Ramani is a Consultant and Honorary Senior Lecturer in Anaesthesia and Intensive Care Medicine at University College London Hospitals (UCLH) and Director, UCL/UCLH Surgical Outcomes Research Centre. She is a Board Member of the UK’s National Institute for Academic Anaesthesia (NIAA), where she is Academic training advisor and is Deputy Director of the NIAA’s Health Services Research Centre. She is Academic Training Program Director for the London Academy of Anaesthesia. She was a Council Member of the Royal College of Anaesthetists between 2008 and 2012.
- Her research interest is Health Services Research in perioperative medicine, in particular, risk stratification and outcome measurement with a view to improving the quality of care for patients undergoing major surgery. She has recently begun a 3-year post-doctoral fellowship in Improvement Science with the Health Foundation and is leading the development of a Perioperative Quality Improvement Programme to measure morbidity and patient reported outcome after major non-cardiac surgery.
- Staff Anaesthetist. Department of Anaesthesia-Obstetrical unit-Geneva University Hospital (Switzerland).
- Quality Officer. Department of Anaesthesia, Pharmacology, Intensive care -Geneva University Hospital (Switzerland).
- Adjunct Associate Professor. Department of Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine-Monash University-Melbourne (Australia)
- Doctorate in Medicine (MD)-University of Lausanne.
- Diploma of the Swiss Society of Physicians-Specialty Anaesthesia.
- Diploma of the European Academy of Anaesthesiology.
- PhD Epidemiology-Monash University, Melbourne Australia.
- Master in Medical Informatics, University of Bath.
- Associate Editor - British Journal of Anaesthesia.
- Member of the Committee for Quality and Data management-Swiss Society of Anaesthesia.
- Reviewer for the BMJ, PLosOne, Anesthesiology,Int J Qual in Healthcare, EJA.
- Expert reviewer for the Swiss National Science Foundation; the Australian New Zealand College of Anaesthetists.
- Quality and Safety in Anaesthesia; Crew Resource Management; Obstetrical Anaesthesia.
- Postgraduate anaesthetic training at the Imperial School of Anaesthesia, London, including two years as obstetric anaesthetic research fellow at the Chelsea & Westminster Hospital.
- Honorary Secretary of the Obstetric Anaesthetists’ Association & Chair of the Education Sub-committee.
- Obstetric anaesthetic representative, NICE caesarean section guideline update (2011) & Intrapartum Care Guideline Update (2014).
- Member working group who defined a pathway for care of the critically ill parturient, (Providing equity of critical and maternity care for the critically ill pregnant or recently pregnant woman), 2011.
- Secretary, National Maternity Critical Care Committee, UK.
- Serves on Editorial Board, International Journal of Obstetric Anesthesia.
- Major interests - critically ill parturient and the future of obstetric anaesthesia training.
- 05/2002 - Medical Faculty, Leopold Franzens University, Innsbruck, Austria
- 07/2003 - Postgraduate Research Fellowship, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee WI
- 01/2005 - Research Master in Anesthesiology (Pain Management), University of Cardiff, UK
- 04/2010 - Residency in Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine, Innsbruck Medical University, Austria
- 05/2010 - Habilitation (venia docendi) in Anesthesiology Innsbruck Medical University, Austria
- 06/2014 - Graduate Research Studies, University of Amsterdam
Positions and Honors:
- 2002 – 2010 Resident, Anesthesiology and Critical Care, Innsbruck Medical University, Austria
- 2003 – 2004 Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Anesthesiology, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI
- 2010 – present Attending Anesthesiologist, Academic Medical Center, University of Amsterdam, Netherlands
- 2011 – present Associate Professor, University of North Florida Brooks College of Health, Jacksonville, FL
- Midwest Anesthesia Resident Conference (Rochester, MN) Second Best Poster Prize 2004
- Swarovski Research Award (Innsbruck Medical University, Austria) 2005
- European Society of Regional Anaesthesia Annual Meeting Best Free Paper Prize 2005
- European Society of Regional Anaesthesia Annual Meeting 2nd Best Free Paper Prize 2006
- European Society of Regional Anaesthesia Annual Meeting Best Poster Prize 2006
- European Society of Regional Anaesthesia Annual Meeting 3rd Best Free Paper Prize 2007
- European Society of Regional Anaesthesia Annual Meeting Best Poster Prize 2011
- Dutch Society of Anaesthesiology “Prof. Dr. Ritsema van Eck Award” Second Prize 2013
Editorial activities, service on committees, Educational activities:
- Associate Editor, European Journal of Anaesthesiology
- Review Editor, Frontiers in Intensive Care and Anesthesiology
- Regular reviewer for the journals Anesthesia & Analgesia, Minerva anestesiologica, and the British Journal of Anaesthesia.
- Member, European Society of Anaesthesiology (ESA) Scientific Subcommittee 8 (Regional Anesthesia) 2014-present
- Member, European Society of Regional Anesthesia and Pain Therapy (ESRA) Prospect Working Group on Perioperative Pain Management 2015 – present
- Member, Local Organizing Committee for the 2016 Annual Meeting of the European Society of Regional Anesthesia and Pain Therapy (ESRA), Maastricht, NL
- Responsible for the academic exchange program between the Dept. of Anaesthesiology / AMC and the University of North Florida for Nurse anesthetists (since 2011), and New York University Langone Medical Center for physician residents (since 2015). Aim is to strengthen international cooperations and to enhance mutual learning.